Public Space Permit Required
DC’s Department of Transportation manages the permitting process for neighborhood block parties. You can apply for a permit in-person (1100 4th Street, SW, 2nd floor) or online using the DDOT’s Transportation Online Permit System (TOPS). Allow up to 15 days for processing.
The following criteria apply:
- Applicant must be an adult resident (21 years or older) of the block being closed.
- Area must not exceed two intersecting streets (i.e., must be limited to one block).
- Street must be reopened no later than 10 pm
- Applicant must obtain consent of 51% of households on the block using DDOT Neighborhood Block Party Temporary Street Closing Petition.
- Vending is prohibited. No sales, fees, or donations shall be solicited or accepted at the event.
- No sale or consumption of alcoholic beverages allowed.
- Accessibility for emergency equipment via an unobstructed 20-foot emergency access lane must be maintained at all times.
- Posting of street closure/no parking signs must be completed no less than 72 hours prior to date of event.
For more information, visit http://ddot.dc.gov/page/neighborhood-block-parties.