Congressional Cemetery is an historic and active cemetery located at 1801 E Street, SE, on the west bank of the Anacostia River.
- Over 1,000 volunteers each year help maintain & promote the cemetery.
- The only D.C. cemetery that allows green burial options.
- Notable burials include John Philip Sousa, the March King, Mathew Brady, civil war photographer, and Elbridge Gerry, signer of the Declaration of Independence.
- Veterans from every American war can be found here.
- Innovative and sustainable practices, including beekeeping, grazing goats, and dog-walking program.
Association for the Preservation of Historic Congressional Cemetery
About the Association for the Preservation of Historic Congressional Cemetery | FAQs
Burials & Services
Newsletters & Tours
Rules & Regulations
Search Interment Records
National Park Service (history and description)
One of D.C.’s most exclusive spots? Congressional Cemetery’s dog park. (Washington Post, Feb. 24, 2017)
A Walk Through Congressional Cemetery (Washington Post, May 19, 2011)