There are lots of fireworks on Capitol Hill, some of which are prohibited by DC law. Below is what is permitted and prohibited according to the DC police website; how to report illegal fireworks; and some useful links.
Reporting Illegal Fireworks
If you are aware of fireworks being set off in your neighborhood, call 9-1-1 to have police and fire personnel investigate the situation.
You can also report the use or sale of illegal fireworks by contacting the DC Fire/EMS Department’s Fire Prevention Division at (202) 727-1600 or (202) 727-1614.
Fireworks: Some Facts and Safety Tips [MPD brochure]
DC Fireworks Laws
Article 27, DC Register, F-2700.1.1: The manufacture, storage, display, sale, setting off, or discharge of any firework listed below is prohibited in the District of Columbia.
- Firecrackers of any kind or description
- Any firework that explodes, such as cherry bombs, salutes, Roman candles, floral shells, artillery shells
- Any firework intended to move after the piece is placed and fired; such as bottle rockets, parachutes, buzzbombs, pinwheels, helicopters, jumping jacks
- Sparklers more than 20 inches (50mm) in length
- Any firework that contains mercury, arsenic, tetryl, phosporous, sulphocyanide, magnesium, potassium picrate, gallic acid, chlorate of potash and sugar, or any highly oxidizing agent
- Any firework having a side fuse, or a fuse inserted at any point along the length of the firework
- Any firework found by the code official to be dangerous to the safety of persons or property
Article 27, District of Columbia Register, F-2700.1.2): The fireworks listed below are permitted to be stored, displayed, sold, delivered, used, and possessed in accordance with the provisions of this article.
- Any firework specifically excepted in this article
- Toy paper caps containing not more than twenty-five hundredths (0.25) of a grain of explosive composition per cap
- Sparklers not more than 20 inches (50mm) in length
- Torches, cones
- Box fires, fountains
- Dip-sticks, non-poisonous snakes
- Paper novelty items, colored lights