Moving to & from the Hill

Moving Truck Permit

You must obtain and post a Public Space Permit for a moving truck to be able to park in front of your house or in an alley.  You can apply for this permit online using DC’s Transportation Online Permitting System.

Permits for residential moving trucks may be issued for up to 2 days, and for residential moving containers up to 5 days.

The permit must be posted 24 hours in advance at metered spaces and 72 hours in advance at non-metered spaces.

For more information, see:

FAQs:  Moving Trucks on Public Space

Moving Supplies

Used boxes are often offered via the area listservs and other social media.

Home Depot
901 Rhode Island Ave., NE

U-Haul Moving & Storage of Capitol Hill
26 K St, NE

Capitol Hill Movers

Bookstore Movers
(202) 570-4697

“Bookstore Movers was started in 2005 as a way for fellow employees of an independent used bookstore on Capitol Hill to earn some additional money so that one day they might collectively have enough to purchase the bookstore when the current owner retires.”

Mitch the Mover
(202) 465-6654
1010 Massachusetts Ave., NE